Hours b4 New Year: DOH-12 records 18 firecracker related injuries

Health • Sun Dec 31, 2017 08:38 AM  •  94   0
By Edwin O. Fernandez
  • Your Reaction:
  • Bida
  • Kontra Bida
  • Happy
  • Unhappy
COTABATO CITY – Hours before the New Year ushers in, the Department of Health today reported 18 cases of firecracker related injuries in Region 12.  

Jenny Ventura, focal person of DOH-12 “Iwas Paputok” campaign focal person, said as of 6 a.m. on Dec. 31, 18 persons were hurt by firecrackers in the provinces of North Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Sarangani and the cities of Cotabato, Kidapawan, Tacurong, Koronadal and Gen. Santos.  

DOH monitoring started on December 21.   Ventura said the number was 5 percent lower during the same period last year.  

South Cotabato had the highest number of firecracker victims with 11, three in North Cotabato, two in Sarangani 1 in Sultan Kudarat and one in Gen. Santos City.  

Ventura said 17 of the victims were male and one female. Twelve of whom were children and six were adults.  

She noted that four had eye injuries and one victim had to undergo amputation on one of his toes.

Of the number of victims, five used legal and government recognize firecracker while 13 used illegal firecrackers like “kwitis,” “Piccolo,” “5-star,” “boga,” and “triangle.”   Five remained in the hospital while 13 were sent home, Ventura said.  

This came despite massive information campaign regarding the use and control of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices.  

DOH-12 earlier projected "zero firecracker related injuries this year."

It aims to lessen if not totally stop incidence of firecracker-related injuries or death and damage to properties during the holiday celebrations. Monitoring period is from December 21- January 4.      

Through this year’s theme “OPLAN: Iwas Paputok, Fireworks Display ang Patok! Makiisa sa Fireworks Display sa Inyong Lugar,” DOH-12 asked local government units to organize community fireworks to ensure the use of safer alternative noise-makers in welcoming the holiday season.  

Ventura remained hopeful that with the public’s cooperation the number of victims will be reduced and lower than the previous years.   President Duterte signed Executive Order No. 28 regulating the use of firecrackers and establishing community fireworks display. (Edwin O. Fernandez)
  • Your Reaction:
  • Bida
  • Kontra Bida
  • Happy
  • Unhappy