Soldiers recover BIFF guns after brief firefight in Maguindanao

Mindanao Armed Conflict  • Sun Mar 19, 2017 07:09 AM  •  351   0
By Edwin O. Fernandez
  • Your Reaction:
  • Bida
  • Kontra Bida
  • Happy
  • Unhappy
(retired analyst blogger)
(retired analyst blogger)
CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao --– Government forces conducting clearing operations following a focused law enforcement operations in Maguindanao last week clashed late Saturday with about 10 lawless elements in Rajah Buayan, Maguindanao.  

Capt. Arvin John Encinas, 6th Infantry Division spokesperson, said the elements of the 40th Infantry Battalion clashed with fleeing elements of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) in the village of Pidsandawan at about 3 a.m.
 

Outnumbered, the BIFF dispersed and fled toward the Liguasan marshland, leaving behind five firearms, Encinas said.  

Firearms recovered were a Garand rifle, Carbine rifle, M-79 grenade launcher and two 12 gauge shot guns and bomb making devices.  

Last week, the Army launched air and ground assaults in the villages of Tee and Andavit, Datu Salibo, Maguindanao after BIFF Commander Bungos and a Jemaah Islamiya senior leader were sighted.  

Encinas said the focused military operations left at least 10 BIFF killed, including a suspected foreign terrorists whose identity is still being validated.  

Encinas said information from villagers and troops on the ground said the BIFF immediately buried their fallen comrades a day after the offensives.  

Brigadier General Arnel Dela Vega, 6th ID chief, vowed to relentlessly pursue the bandits blamed for the series of roadside bombings against military personnel stationed, including non-combatants, in Maguindanao’s second district. 
  • Your Reaction:
  • Bida
  • Kontra Bida
  • Happy
  • Unhappy